Feng Shui is all about finding balance and peace in your living space. Its ideals are wide open spaces for energy to move about and cycle.
This is hard to do when you live in a small home and need all the space you can get. Storage beds are part of one of the biggest Feng Shui debates. People like to argue whether or not you can use them.
What is Feng Shui?
The term translates as wind-water and is an ancient Chinese discipline. The philosophy can be traced back several thousand years.
It was first used when people were settling to create farms for themselves. They used it to identify places for families to live safely and the best burial grounds. Then it was used to place palaces, government buildings, and other public monuments.
Whole cities were designed and built according to the core concepts of Feng Shui.
Now it’s used across the globe to guide people to love, success, and other positive aspects of life.
Some Basic Feng Shui Rules for Your Bedroom
There are a lot of rules when it comes to this technique, but there are some basics.
- It’s best to use pastel colors in rooms where you want to nurture relationships. They are also good for companionship, rest, and rejuvenation.
- The headboard of a bed should be in the command position and against a solid wall. It should also be that you can see your door for a sense of safety, but not be in line with it.
- Bedrooms should only be bedrooms, meaning not using it for other purposes. For example, don’t put a desk in your bedroom. Also, don’t work in bed.
- Declutter as much as possible. It will make you feel better and you’ll wake up with positive energy.
- Furniture should be proportional to the size of the room. This will make it feel like there is more space instead of less.
- There should be as little electronics as possible in the bedroom. They have active energy and will make it harder to relax. They also interfere with the flow of Chi.
- Don’t place a mirror in front of your bed. Not only is it creepy, but the site of multiple people in your bed could cause problems. If you have to, hang a crystal in between the mirror and bed.
- Get a brand new mattress so that there’s no lingering energy from a previous owner.
- Some experts say it’s best to leave the space under your bed free to allow the Chi to flow freely.
Storage Bed Feng Shui Tips
- Some people in smaller places think it’s smarter to create an open space, but it can actually make it worse. It can make it harder to distinguish where one room starts and another ends.
Instead, you can use curtains, bookcases, or furniture to give the illusion of separate spaces.
- Again get rid of clutter, it can make any space seem smaller instantly.
- You can strategically place mirrors around your home. They can make the space seem bigger by reflecting other parts of the room.
- Knowing that you’ll have to use the space beneath your bed for storage, avoid putting anything underneath the top half of the bed.
Also avoid storing, souvenirs or memorabilia like photos or old clothes, shoes, off season clothing, electronics, old artwork, books, and any clutter that you aren’t ready to deal with.
You can store bed linens, blankets, pillows, and anything else you use for sleeping.
- If you need more space, you can consider using a wall pull out bed. It’s where a bed is literally hidden by a wall and can be pulled out when needed.
Another option is a recliner futon. It helps save space by fulfilling the purpose of a bed and a chair in one.
There’s the fold out Z bed which can fold up to need as little space as possible, and then unfold for a bed. It could as be used as a chair due to the fact it can fold in different ways.
Then there is the classic sofa bed, the one that is a couch and a bed all in one. You can find really great ones everywhere. Apartment Therapy tested out different ones to find the best pull out couch bed.
There are Plenty of Options for Feng Shui in a Small Spaces
While it might be difficult, there are possible ways to create good Feng Shui in small spaces. Even though many people don’t like the idea of storage bed Feng Shui it is still possible. You just need to get creative.